Uptown Marion Main Street’s mission is to drive continued revitalization, growth, and preservation of historic character through appropriate design, promotion, and economic strategies that improve our community.
In 2013, Marion was selected as a Main Street Iowa Community, a highly competitive designation granted through Main Street Iowa, a division of Iowa Economic Development Center. The Main Street Approach® was developed by the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s National Main Street Center with the goal of economic development within the context of historic preservation.
In addition to Uptown Marion’s designation, the District was also named a Cultural and Entertainment District in 2005. Iowa Cultural and Entertainment Districts are well-recognized, labeled, mixed-use, compact areas of a city or town in which a high concentration of cultural facilities serves as the anchor.
Uptown Marion Main Street is a 501(c)(6) non-profit and is a subsidiary of Marion Chamber of Commerce. Uptown Marion partners with the Marion Chamber and several other organizations to make our district, community and Iowa’s Creative Corridor the best it can be.
The Uptown Marion District spans over 20 blocks of Marion’s historic commercial district that comprises of 165 buildings, 135 businesses, 864 employees, and more than 250 residents.
- Brooke Prouty: Program Director
- Nathan Caraway: Board President, Contractor
- Molly Lurth: Board Vice President, Manager
- Madeline Jarvis: Board Secretary, City Library
- Gae Sharp-Richardson: Past Chair (’13-’15), Business Owner
- Heidi Cordes: Board Member, Business Owner
- Charlie Potter: Board Member, Real Estate
- Dave Murray: Board Member, Business President
- Karen Hoyt: Board Member, Art Director
- Tom Treharne: Board Member, City Planner
- Michelle Wilson: Board Member, Social Worker
- Nikki Clayton: Board Member, Banker
- Scott Swenson: Board Member, Business Development
- David Nicholson: City Council Representative
- Jill Ackerman: Chamber of Commerce President